This is an all-time favorite, and so delicious–you need to be prepared to make another! Makes 10-12 servings.
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 4 slices ready-cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 can (5-1/2 oz.) diced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 loaf (about 1 lb.) bread, unsliced
- Remove spinach from package. Place spinach in 1-quart microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH, 3-4 minutes. Cool slightly; drain and squeeze spinach to remove any remaining liquid. Return spinach to bowl.
- To soften cream cheese, place unwrapped cream cheese block on microwave-safe dish. Microwave on HIGH, 30-40 seconds or until softened. Add cream cheese and remaining ingredients (except for bread) to spinach in bowl; mix well. Microwave on HIGH, 2-3 minutes, stirring once or until mixture is heated through.
- Using bread knife, slice off top of bread loaf. Hollow out loaf, reserving bread. Slice reserved bread into cubes.
- Spoon spinach mixture into loaf. Serve warm with bread cubes.
*Chopped garlic is widely available in jars, and can be found in the produce section of supermarkets.
*If desired, substitute 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder for chopped garlic.